Introducing Lamb & Hayward Ltd, Funeral Directors
Quality, value and innovation have been the hallmarks of Lamb & Hayward Funeral Directors for more than 85 years.
The undertaking business had been first set up by Matthew Park. Boon & Company became involved when he commissioned them to build a specially designed funeral truck. However, Matthew Park's funeral business did not prosper as well as it should - Matthew was more interested in trucks than undertaking - and William Hayward and William Boon became financially involved in his company. The Hon.William Hayward was a prominent
Established in 1923 by three Williams – Hon. William Hayward MLC, William Boon and William Sylvester Lamb – the company has continued to be locally owned and operated and a significant part of life in Canterbury.
The original premises were at 292 Cashel Street and consisted of a small shop front, mortuary and a garage. There were also two self-contained flats for staff. In 1936 the old premises were demolished to make way for a two-storey building on the same site. The new building provided for a chapel plus a floral area and the offices required to cater for what was at the time a modern funeral home.
By 1971 the business had expanded and larger premises were required. Lamb & Hayward relocated to a new site beside the old Bryndwr Lake in Wairakei Road. This new chapel was named Westpark.
In April 1991 Lamb & Hayward dedicated its second funeral chapel at Kerrs Road in Linwood to offer a convenient alternative in eastern and southern Christchurch. The new funeral home was situated on the site of the old grain store.
Nine years later our Rangiora Chapel, Wai-mana was built to cater to the growing North Canterbury area. The complex also features an enclosed courtyard – the Garden of Memories – where a small plaque is placed for every funeral arranged by Lamb & Hayward in North Canterbury.